If your dishwasher won’t drain all the way, you may have a problem. Sometimes this problem is easy to fix on your own, but sometimes this means you need a plumber.
If your dishwasher isn’t draining, try the following:
Check the sump pump
If there’s just a teensy bit of water in the bottom of your dishwasher, you don’t need to worry. You need a little bit of water to remain in the bottom to make sure the pump seal remains moist.
Check the dishwasher door
If it’s not closed all the way and latched, the dishwasher won’t finish draining. Try closing the door, latching it, and running the dishwasher again.
Check the cycle
If the cycle was interrupted, the dishwasher might not have drained. Look for a cancel/drain button or a way to reset the dishwasher.
Check the electrical source
Many dishwashers are plugged into an outlet that is controlled by an electrical switch. Maybe sure you didn’t accidentally turn off the electrical source mid-cycle.
Check your dishwasher drain hose
Your drain hose is probably connected to your garbage disposal, which means you could be experiencing issues with the disposal or the drain hose. Check to see if:
- The drain hose is kinked, preventing drainage
- The drain hose is clogged
- The knockout plug is still in place and needs to be removed
- The drain hose is hanging down or is too long (it needs to be tacked up so it reaches the underside of the counter in order to drain properly)
You may need a new drain hose.
Check the garbage disposal and drain
If your garbage disposal is clogged or your drain system is blocked, your dishwasher won’t drain properly until you get the drain cleared or the garbage disposal cleared. Likewise, check your sink drain, since many dishwashers drain through the sink drain. Try running hot water down the sink drain or disposal and running the disposal. If this doesn’t work, call us and we’ll come clear your drain for you.
Check to see if you have a clogged air gap in your sink
If your air gap is blocked, remove the chrome cover, unscrew the cap, and clean any residue or build up with soap and water. You may want to check the manufacturer’s instructions for further cleaning advice. Replace air gap plastic cap and cover when finished.
Perform annual maintenance on your dishwasher
Each year, you’ll want to do the following:
- Clean the filter and trap with a stiff brush and hot soapy water (you can find the filter and trap at the bottom of your dishwasher).
- Clean the spray arm holes with a stiff wire brush (removing debris that has accumulated and clearing all the spray holes).
- Check the dish racks for cracks or for peeling off of the rubber sealant. You’ll find that after a couple years of use, this rubber coating comes off, exposing metal. The metal rusts, and those bits of metal collect in the drain, clogging it. You’ll need to order (online) little rubber caps and glue so you can cap off those rusty ends. You can also order liquid rubber that you can paint onto these areas so that they won’t rust and add debris to the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Check the drain hose clamps to ensure they are properly attached and angled for optimal draining.
- Look for leaks or cracks in the door seal.
- Make sure the pre-heating mechanism is working properly (use the manufacturer’s directions to do this).
Need Charlotte Plumbing Services?
Are you interested in more information about Charlotte plumbing contractors?
Looking to call our Charlotte plumbing service company?
Need assistance or advice regarding plumbing in Charlotte NC?
E.R. Plumbing Services is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You don’t need to take time off work or wait until the morning because we never charge extra for nights or weekends. Just give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form.
Learn more about Charlotte residential plumber here.
Charlotte Plumbing Services at Your Service
Serving the Charlotte metro area, including Charlotte suburbs. Looking for Charlotte plumbing services? Waxhaw plumbing services? We’ll get the job done now and the job done right. 30+ years experience, fully staffed and committed to customer satisfaction.