Charlotte Plumbing Company Advice: Running Toilet Costs
An unseen leak in your toilet can be an expensive, hard to find problem. The constant running or leaking can cost you $100+ a month on your water bill, so you’ve got to go leak hunting if you’ve noticed a water bill spike or any other of these symptoms:
- Your toilet makes gurgling or wooshing noises long after it’s been flushed
- Your toilet won’t stop running unless you jiggle the handle
- Your toilet continues to take on water after it’s refilled
- When flushing, you have to hold the lever for a long time for the bowl to drain
- The bowl is filling above the overflow
- Your toilet starts to turn off and on by itself
If you start to notice any of these issues, you likely have a leak and you should get to work trying to find it.
- Open the lid on the tank to look in and see if you can spot the issue
- Trash any disinfectant products that live in the toilet tank or bowl and flush until the water is clear
- Put dye in the tank and wait (don’t use or flush) for thirty minutes.
- After that time, check the toilet bowl for dye. If it’s colored, you have a leak.
- If the leak is elsewhere, start by marking the water line in the bowl with a pencil and shut off the supply, then wait to see where the water is after an hour. If it’s stayed the same, the refill valve is leaky. If it’s gone down, the flush valve is leaky.
Need a Charlotte Plumber?
Need help with a leaky toilet?
Unsure what to do about leak detection?
Have questions about leak detection service?
E.R. Plumbing Services is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You don’t need to take time off work or wait until the morning because we never charge extra for nights or weekends. Just give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form.
Learn more about Charlotte leak detection here.
Charlotte Plumbing Company at Your Service
Serving the Charlotte metro area, including Charlotte suburbs. Need a Mint Hill plumber? We’ll get the job done now and the job done right. 30+ years experience, fully staffed and committed to customer satisfaction.