Plumber in Charlotte NC Advises How to Install Instant Hot Water Heater Yourself
Want to install an instant hot water heater to supplement your whole house water heater at a specific sink? Follow these step by step instructions to install your own unit.
- Remove all items from under the sink so you will have room for the instant hot water heater.
- Turn off the water leading to the water heater.
- Shut off the power. If you have a gas hot water heater, switch the control to pilot setting.
- Check the sink for a hole for the water dispenser. No hole? You will then need to cut one in the sink.
- Drain the water out of the lines. To do this, turn on the sink faucet and an outside faucet.
- Decide where the dispenser will be installed, and mark that spot by making a dent in the sink with a hammer and drill bit. Just tap softly to create a dimple in that spot.
- Put on safety goggles.
- Drill a three-quarters inch hole where you made the dimple. You can use a slug buster or you can use a drill.
- Smooth the edges of the hole using an emery cloth.
- Hold the seal ring against the underbelly of the dispenser.
- Insert the dispenser into the sink.
- Place the mounting ring over the threaded rod (underside of the dispenser).
- Follow with the hex nut, which you will need to tighten.
- Unscrew the compression nut at the cold water stop (you will find this under the sink) and then remove the line.
- Add a double compression stop to the water line.
- Reattach the lines to the sink.
- Mark the spot where you want to put the tank, and then use a drill bit and screws to mount the bracket. Use the bracket to mount the tank.
- Connect the blue tubing with the quick-connect fitting on the tank. Use the clear vinyl tube to secure the fitting. Slip the larger tube over the last barbed fitting.
- Attach the filter mounting bracket, and then mount the filter.
- Use the 3/8″ tubing from the outlet side of the filter to connect to the 3/8″ Y fitting.
- Connect the clear vent line to the filter.
- Insert both copper lines from the dispenser into the Y fitting.
- Slip a compression nut over the 3/8″ tubing and attach it to the double compression stop installed at the existing water line. Tighten.
- Turn on the water to the water heater.
- Turn on the water under the sink and examine carefully for signs of leaking.
- Turn on the cold water faucet at the new dispenser and flush the filter. Turn the cold water off and then turn on the hot water faucet.
- Plug in the instant hot water unit and check at sink to see if it is working.
Need a Charlotte Plumbing Company to Install an Instant Hot Water Heater for You?
If this process sounds intimidating, give us a call and we’ll gladly install the heater for you. We can help you choose the right heater for your needs, explaining the differences between recirculating hot water pumps and other options.
Plumber in Charlotte NC: Serving the Charlotte Metro for 30+ Years
Give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form to get service anywhere in a 30-mile radius of Charlotte, NC.
Need a hot water heater in Gastonia? How about a plumber in Charlotte NC or Harrisburg or Pineville? We’ve got the technicians and experience to help you figure out what the best solution is for your specific situation.