Water Heater Facts Every Homeowner Should Know
Did you know that heating water is usually the second largest energy expense in the average household, accounting for between 14% and 18% of your energy bills? Or that annual maintenance (which you can do yourself) can extend the life of your water heater by years? Are you aware of all the many different types of water heaters (including solar and tankless water heaters)?
The following are water heater basics every homeowner should know:
Easy Water Heater Maintenance
Once a year, flush your water heater to remove sediment that has built up. Every three years, check or replace the anode rod. These two actions can extend your water heater’s life. Learn more about flushing your water heater here.
Common Water Heater Problems
- Need to keep re-lighting your water heater pilot? You probably just need your water heater serviced.
- Are you finding water under or near the water heater? You’ve probably got a leak.
- Running out of hot water often? You may need a supplemental on-demand heater or to upgrade to a bigger tank or a tankless water heater.
- Hot water rusty? You’ve probably got serious sediment build up in your water heater and need to flush it out (or get it serviced).
- Water never quite hot enough? It probably needs to be serviced, or, if it’s over 10 years old, is losing efficiency and needs to be replaced soon.
- Need a dip-tube replacement or a thermocouple replacement? We’re on it!
Time for a New Water Heater?
Choosing the most cost efficient water heater is not difficult. Simply ask a knowledgeable plumber to evaluate your situation (number of people in the household, how long you intend to live in the home, what your budget is) and then ask for a suggestion between:
- Tankless water heaters, which last the longest, do not use energy when hot water usage is low or nonexistent, and are best for people with a lot of people in the home and who intend to live in the home for a long time (over ten years).
- Natural gas and electric tank water heaters, all of which use more energy (and therefore can cost more in the long run) but cost less upfront. These are best if you don’t plan to live in the home for more than ten years or you need to stick to a budget for this investment.
- Solar tank water heaters, which are very energy efficient and great for the environment.
Water Heater Safety
Watch for the following:
- Leaking, which can cause water damage, especially if your water heater is in the attic (a big no-no; we suggest you move it or invest in water cops at the very least, as this will alert you of a leak before you have a serious problem.)
- Gas leakage, which is dangerous.
- Carbon monoxide leakage, which can happen if the water heater is installed by a Do-It-Yourself. We are totally supportive of most D-I-Y plumbing projects, but a water heater should be in stalled by a pro because carbon monoxide leakage cannot be seen or smelled and can be lethal.
Need a Charlotte Water Heater Repaired, Serviced or Replaced?
Call us at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form for service. Open 24/7, 365 days a year.
Water Heater Testimonials:
Review by Debbie and Chuck T. on 09/14/15
“When our water heater broke, we called a different plumber that made us wait all day to come by and give us an outrageous repair estimate. Meanwhile while wasting our day away on the other company, I called ER Plumbing. Deborah was so nice and gave me a quick guesstimate over the phone from my model description. (The other plumber couldn’t do that without making a $99 service call to look at our broken water heater). We called her back on Monday morning and ER had Terry here by 11:00. Terry was so pleasant and professional. He did a fantastic job installing our new gas water heater. My husband is a commercial general contractor and he was extremely impressed with Terry’s quality of work. It was perfect! When he left, the area where he installed the water heater was spotless. I highly recommend ER Plumbing and Terry. They are our plumber to call from any future needs.”
Review by Cay C. on 09/10/15
“ER Plumbing called out to replace two 30 year old toilets and to investigate a problem with hot water heater. Very happy with the two new toilets and the installation. Regarding the water heater. Took the time to analyze and formulate a step by step approach to manage costs. Very happy with Terry the serviceman and the company customer service.”
Review by Millie F. on 09/04/15
“Had to have our hot water heater replaced and Garrett and Terry came out to our house to do the work. They were on time, courteous and respectful of our property. Would be happy to work with them again in the future. Cannot speak highly enough of the whole team at ER Plumbing; they immediately responded to our service request and have us back up and running with hot water!”